7 Poisoned, 1 Dead After Unknowingly Consuming Counterfeit Vodka at Wedding
Seven individuals, one of whom later died, were poisoned on Tuesday in the Fergana region of Uzbekistan after unknowingly consuming counterfeit vodka, Akipress reported.
The incident unfolded on September 5 when seven people sought medical attention, citing deteriorating health, persistent headaches and nausea. Medical examinations uncovered the presence of an undisclosed toxic substance in their systems, with further investigation revealing that all seven victims had recently consumed vodka at a wedding they had attended, per Akipress.
Authorities later discovered that the victims had unwittingly ingested counterfeit alcohol produced in a local artisanal workshop. According to the report, the producers of the fraudulent vodka had used labels of well-known local brands. Furthermore, it was disclosed that the entire batch of counterfeit spirits had been secretly distributed, finding its way into a catering business and another company.
Akipress reported that law enforcement has since arrested a suspect and filed criminal charges against them over the production and sale of unsafe goods, including the illegal production and distribution of ethyl alcohol, alcohol and tobacco products.
Here at Gin Raiders, we do more than write about current events in gin and spirits. We are the only media property reviewing gins and aggregating the scores and reviews of other significant voices in the gin world in one place. If you’re interested in getting a shot of gin in your morning email, sign up for our Deal of the Day newsletter.
This post may contain affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site. This helps support Gin Raiders at no additional cost to you.